Guiding Principles

I feel blessed to have so many strong talented women in my life. All of which who have done things their own way, I wish I could sit down with all of you regularly to talk and think about things. But since life moves so fast, I hope that we can all learn a little more about each other each day just through simple answers to tough questions.

Guiding Principles for Posting to this Blog:
:: Post your comments and read and learn about others
:: Be respectful of others' opinions
:: There are no right or wrong answers
:: Come back frequently
:: Invite people who you think will enjoy this exchange
:: Send me any questions you would like to post
:: Answer only what you feel comfortable in sharing

Saturday, February 21, 2009

What does feminism mean to you?

My sister asked me last week if I thought I was a feminist and my answer to her was no. I believe in equality. I used to think in my younger days that I was a feminist but at the end of the day all I really wanted was to accomplish my goals that I set out to do regardless of my gender. Not sure what that makes me, but I do give credit to the women in history that have paved the road for us to be able to do the things we do today.

What do you think?

3 comments:

  1. Absolutely not a feminist but like Kris, I believe in achieving goals in life because I want to be successful. I do, however, stop from time to time to think about how people perceive me because I am a woman. For instance, I am the ONLY salesWOMAN in my group out of 15 guys and I wonder why that is the case. But then I feel good about it because I was chosen for my skills not my gender. I think that is why it's so important to challenge oneself and be on top of things because even though you feel comfortable in your skin, there will always be someone judging you just because you wear a skirt and 4 inch stilettos. HA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, I love this idea for a blog! Way to go, Kris!

    Some days I do think I am a feminist, but then I discover the root of my concerns deal more with equality. Your post has me thinking back to a time when Isidro and I went to a marriage class. The counselor's first question to me was, "Now are your issues concerning him or are they really about your role as a woman?" I thought this was a very interesting question to ask. At first, I felt a little defensive. However, I'm glad she pointed it out because it put things in perspective really fast. Now I often think of this kind of question for any setting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There was a time when I believed that feminist were bra-burning women who just started arguments because they hated men (hey, I just started college at that point, lol). But I slowly began to see that feminists are all different and have different perspectives of what they believe is right and just for the equality of women. Me? I'm an equalist being that I do my part by being fair to people no matter who they are or what their background is. I know that the world won't change in a day but I like to do my part in making people aware that backgrounds shouldn't matter.

    ReplyDelete